Lethbridge School District No. 51
First Nations, Métis and Inuit Education
Address: 433 – 15th Street South
Lethbridge , AB T1J 2Z5
Phone: (403) 380-5316 Fax: (403) 327-4387
To provide staff, students and parents of Lethbridge School District No. 51 with culturally appropriate educational resources of First Nation, Métis and Inuit cultures to:
- enhance understanding
- develop pride in, and
- promote the development of lifelong positive academic, professional and interpersonal relationships. We will also work to foster positive relationships between the Lethbridge School District No. 51 and surrounding Aboriginal communities.
The First Nations, Métis and Inuit Education Program provides ongoing support for Aboriginal Students attending public schools in Lethbridge. The goals of the First Nations, Métis and Inuit Education Program are as follows and delivered through the Home/school Liaison Staff:
- To support Aboriginal students in their efforts to obtain an education.
- To assist Aboriginal students to develop a pride in, and appreciation for, their First Nation, Métis culture and heritage.
- To assist Aboriginal students in the development of a positive self-concept.
- To assist teachers, and those involved with Aboriginal students, in developing an understanding of, and respect for, First Nations, Métis and Inuit culture.
- To assist schools in developing programs and procedures conducive to, and sensitive to, the education of Aboriginal students.
- To provide a liaison between school systems and other organizations and agencies involved with First Nations, Métis and Inuit Education.
- To assist in the development and delivery of the Blackfoot Language.
- To promote the participation of parents, extended family, guardians and caregivers of Aboriginal children in the education of their children.
- To promote Aboriginal awareness in the schools and the overall Lethbridge community.
- To serve as liaison between First Nations, Métis and Inuit students (and their families) and the various agencies concerned with the education and welfare of Aboriginal culture.
- Promote, develop and maintain positive communication between the home and school.
- Provide one-on-one mentoring and counseling support to the students
- Attend parent/teacher conference meetings (Parent/Teacher Interviews or C-Team Meetings)
- Monitor student performance
- Monitor student attendance
- Assist with conflict resolution and prevention
- Provide assistance in coordinating special events