LCI Instrumental Music Courses 2016-2017
- Grade 9 Band is a performance based music course open to any student with previous experience on brass, woodwind, or percussion instruments. The pre-requisite for Grade 9 Band is Grade 8 Band, or the permission of the instructor. Grade 9 band members are eligible to join Green Jazz Band, see below for details. The Grade 9 Band has an overnight winter retreat at SABC, usually in February, and performs several times per year including Kiwanis music festival and a day-trip to the Red Deer provincial festival in May.
- Band 10/20/30 is the regular Concert Band full-year 5-credit class offered during the school day in the 2nd half of Period 4. The pre-requisite for Band 10 is Grade 9 Band, or the permission of the instructor. Students who cannot fit Band 10, 20, or 30 into their timetable can earn the same credits in after-school Wind Ensemble – details below.
Wind Ensemble is a full-year 5-credit course that meets after school on Mondays and Thursdays from 3:15 to 4:45. You can receive 5 credits per year in Music 10/20/30 for this course if you cannot fit band into your regular timetable.
- The above 2 ensembles, Band 10-20-30 and Wind Ensemble, combine to form the LCI Gold (Senior) Band, a large concert band that performs several times per year. The LCI Gold Band tours annually. Recent destinations have included Los Angeles, New Brunswick, Cuba, Vancouver/Whistler, and Seattle. Gold Band holds two Friday half-day mini-retreats per year on campus, usually in October and February.
- Gold Jazz Band is an auditioned 5-credit course that meets Tuesday mornings at 7:00 a.m. and Fridays after school until 2:15 p.m. Grade 10/11/12 students receive 5 credits per year in Music 15/25/35 for this course. One of Music 10/20/30, Wind Ensemble, or Grade 9 Band is co-requisite. Auditions take place in May/June for saxophone, trumpet, trombone, and rhythm section. Gold Jazz Band has an annual fall retreat and spring mini-retreat and accompanies the Gold Concert Band on spring tours.
- Green Jazz Band is a 3-credit course that meets Mondays and Wednesdays at Lunch. Grade 10/11/12 students receive 3 credits per year in Music 15/25/35 credits for this course (except those who are already in Gold Jazz Band). One of Music 10/20/30, Wind Ensemble, or Grade 9 Band is co-requisite. Students from all grades can join on any instrument and no audition is required.
- Beginner Guitar 9 is designed for students with little or no previous guitar experience. Students must purchase or rent privately their own acoustic guitar. This course is for acoustic guitar only, but the skills learned are transferable to electric guitar.
- Guitar 10-20-30 is a sequential series of 5-credit courses designed for students with any level of guitar experience. Students must purchase or rent privately their own guitars. This course is primarily for acoustic guitar, but many units may involve learning and playing electric guitar and/or bass. The course topics include: chording, chord picking, melody reading/picking, tablature, ensembles, music-reading, history of rock and roll, research on famous guitarists, power chords, blues, soloing, and more.
- Note: the credit system is for grades 10 – 12 only, in which you can receive up to 10 credits per year in various bands, plus 5 credits in Guitar. Grade 9 courses do not operate under the credit system.
If you have any questions about the LCI Band Program, please feel free to contact Mr. Ken Rogers by phone at 403-328-9606 Extension 24039 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org